Sunday, December 10, 2006

Pleased To Know You Soulful Encounters

I keep wanting to put off babbling about Soulful Encounters' frustrations. Telling the niceties is so much more fun! Tonight, my mind wanders to my first interview for SoulfulEncounters, the Free dating site for the medically and physically challenged.
My eyes widened as I starred at the email from an editor with our local newspaper. He wanted to speak with me that same day about my disability dating site. As it happened, I had my day lined up before me. I had many things to do and I was going to take my husband for his doctor appointment. He is visually impaired....near blind and unable to drive.
I rang up the number and right from the onset I felt very comfortable with Ian. He asked many questions about Soulful Encounters including how I got the idea to have a disabled dating site for the differently abled. I spontaneously chatted away not realizing that he was conducting an interview. I thought that he would schedule a date for it. However, I think it turned out for the best because my heart spoke for me. I spoke of my work managing medical offices for over 20 years where I met very ill and disabled persons lacking companionship and desiring relationships. Later,I became disabled as well. I spoke of my affinity with disabled persons; having been housebound for 10 years and still unable to do things the way normal persons do. I consider myself differently abled.
Suddenly, in the midst of our conversation he said that he wanted to send a photographer to me right away and this put me in a bit of a panic. But, in the end I decided that I would not change--they could take my picture just as I was. The story was well covered and filled a fairly large space on the front page of the City Section.."Website gives disabled chance to find companionship." My words that I spoke openly were repeated, "Sometimes you can't really explain to a person who is not disabled what you are going through....They have no concept of what it is really like"
When the paper came out..I was too excited to even open the newspaper. That was back in May/06. And, so started on an uphill journey to get the House of Soulful Encounters off the ground....frustrations.. an uphill battle...

Tune in for more----

No comments: